Here’s 3 reasons why butternut squash is my favorite winter squash ever:
#1 It has a delicate sweet and nutty taste that makes it delicious!
#2 It’s a great source of minerals and vitamins (fiber, magnesium, potassium and tons of vitamin A) that makes it healthy!
#3 And last but not least: It has a cool botanical name: “cucurbita moschata”. Don’t know about you but it sounds like a harry potter spell to me…
So without further ado, here’s my very special stuffed cucurbita moschata recipe:
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup of steak cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar + extra
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- Salt & pepper
- 8 sage leaves
1. Cut the butternut squash in half and remove seeds. You can keep the seeds and toast or roast them as a snack.
2. Preheat the oven at 400 F.
3. Rub some butter on the squash (not the skin) and put 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter on each pocket of squash.
4. Sprinkle brown sugar and nutmeg on top and put in the oven.
5. Roast squash for 60 minutes. Every 20 minutes give them a brush on top with the melted butter from the pockets.
6. While roasting the squash: prepare 1/2 cup of chopped onions and cut steak into 1/2 inch squares enough to fill one cup. Season steak with salt and pepper.
7. Remove squash from oven and gently, so as not to break the skin, scoop the insides with a fork and place them in a mixing bowl
8. Add 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese into mash and mix well.
9. In a cast iron pan on high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with the sage leaves. Add onions and cook for a couple of minutes.
10. Next, add the chopped steak and cook until meat is brown and crispy about 8 minutes.
11. Turn off heat and add 1/4 cup of cream. Scrape pan to get all the flavors into the cream.
12. Add all into mash and mix well. Season to taste.
13. Fill in squash and sprinkle grated Parmesan on top.
14. Broil until cheese is melted and crispy.
This amazing gluten free stuffed butternut squash is delicious for any occasion. Hope you enjoy it!